more from the
May/June 2016 issue:
The Home Depot,
the Georgia Aquarium,
– Carson Chan
Two Sides of the Same Sea
– Stephanie Bailey
The School of Athens
– Despina Zefkili
– Ala Younis
Interview: Chrysanthi Koumianaki
– Iliana Fokianaki
– Jasmine Amussen
for Bethany Collins
– Buzz Spector
Change is Everything
– Emily Wilkerson
+ buy issue
Text / Jasmine Amussen
Take one pint of water; add half pound of sugar,
the juice of eight lemons, the zest of half lemon.
Pour the water from one jug, then to the other several times.
Strain through a clean napkin.
—Agnéz Deréon, according to vogue.com
1) An afternoon spent with your father, running barefoot through the yard under the magnolias and having no idea that he drinks too much or stays out late.
You are seven and this is cool and sweet.
2) An evening spent with your mother, sitting and fidgeting. You are 17 and your father is dead and you are getting in a car to go bury
him in New Orleans. Your mother gives you a glass of this, because
"it's the only thing in the house." You can't even taste it.
3) Late night with a man old enough to be your father and he has
lemon trees in his backyard, deep in the Irish Channel. You are 18
and you kiss and sleep and have sex and this is served with almost every meal. It tastes like manna.
4) Some other time, and you're mixing alcohol with this because you're 22 and you've outgrown soda and alcohol, so lemonade
signals you are an adult: you've grown up. You drink till you're sick, and the lemonade burns your nose as it comes out.
5) It's even later at night and you're 27. You're helping a friend
navigate breaking up with their partner or wishing that they hadn't
and the heat is punishing. This is bright and strong. You make sure you save a glassful for their children.
Measure COUNTRY TIME LEMONADE MIX into large plastic or glass pitcher.
(2 Scoops = 4 Servings, 8 Scoops = 16 Servings)
Add cold water and ice. (4 Servings = 1 quart, 16 servings = 1 gallon)
Stir to dissolve. Store prepared beverage, covered, in refrigerator.
(Do not store in metal container.)
—from the back of the Country Time Lemonade Mix container